Why does the State Bar Certify Legal Specialist?
- To help the public identity attorneys who have demonstrated proficiency in specialized fields of law
- To encourage the maintenance and improvement of attorney competence in specialized fields of law
If you had a serious illness, wouldn't you want to be treated by a doctor who specialized in that area? Criminal Law is serious.
What Does it Mean When an Attorney is a “Certified” Specialist?
A certified specialist is more than just an attorney who specializes in a particular area of law. A California attorney who is certified by the State Bar as a Criminal Law specialist must have:
- Taken and passed a written examination in Criminal Law
- Demonstrated a high level of experience in Criminal Law
- Fulfilled ongoing education requirements
- Been favorably evaluated by other attorneys and judges familiar with her or his work
What Can a Certified Criminal Law Specialist Do for You?
- Fully advise you
- Vigorously defend you through all stages of your case
- Help you protect your rights
- Help you effectively handle your case from start to finish
A certified specialist knows the overall picture and can discuss different strategies to help you choose the best one for your needs.
Every individual attorney sets her or his own fees based upon the complexity of each particular case – “Certified” Specialist does not necessarily mean it will cost you more money.
In What Other Fields of Law Are Attorneys Certified by the State Bar?
- Appellate Law
- Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law
- Family Law
- Immigration and Nationality Law
- Personal and Small Business Bankruptcy Law
- Taxation Law
- Workers' Compensation Law
The more complicated your situation, the more reason to consider hiring an attorney who specializes in Criminal Law and who is committed through certification to keeping up her or his proficiency through continual practice and continuing education.
How Do I Find a Certified Specialist?
- For an alphabetical list by county of certified Criminal Law specialists, contact:
The State Bar of California Office of Certification 180 Howard Street San Francisco, CA 94105-1639
Phone: (415) 538-2120 Fax: (415) 538-2180